Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Disclaimer

When I was in High school I had a conversation with a friend about something that her father said. She was talking to her dad about someone with the same name that I have (Heather) who happened to be a multi-ethnic person. Her dad thought she was talking about me and his reply was "well Heather is a pretty girl, but she is most certainly not mixed." The statement really had nothing to do with the conversation which caught me off guard. At that moment the real world hit a naive 16 year old in the face, and I understood how people had varying ideas of beauty. I was presented with a pretty adult theme at an early age. In essence, I discovered that there was a standard of beauty that I would have to rebel against and continue to rebel against and challenge to this day.

I am the girl next door dammit, yes in all my deep dark hue! Even though my awakening was nearly 20 years ago, things have not changed they have continued to worsen in some instances, and get better in others. When did having multi-ethnicity become the standard when beauty is concerned.

I have also come to realize that not only AA people are afflicted with this mind set. I heard a ww say to me that she would only have a child with a bm because they always "came out more beautiful." What!!!! It's time for a mind cleansing. I won't go for the "everyone is beautiful in their own way line," but come on, something has got to give.

I've said it before I like all types of men, I am known for expanding my options to the tenth power. I don't limit myself to one group or the other either. That being said, how many songs are written about "light skinned good hair babes," as ignorant as that is, by bm. I would never accept any comment from a bm about dating someone of another ethnicity.

Bottom line, celebrate those who are not often celebrated . Yeah, a shout out to the bw, whether she be African, African American, Caribbean, or whatever. Your beauty is acknowledged and acceptable.

No comments: