Monday, November 12, 2007

For Bessie





When I was a youngster I was fascinated with Amelia Earhart and I learned everything about her. I was so impressed with this woman. How adventurous she was, flying around the world at the helm of an airplane during a time when most women rarely worked outside of the home.

After I had graduated from college I discovered Bessie Coleman. Without giving a full blown history lesson, "Queen Bess" as she was fondly called, was the first African American woman to become a licensed pilot, and the first American woman to hold an international pilots licence. She was first in her field. Something quite extraordinary for a woman, let alone an African American woman. So why had I not heard of her until after I had completed my primary, secondary and higher education. Both of these women achieved so much in their short lives. Both were pilots during the 1920's, and both died early to tragic ends. We all know why we did not know Bessie's name, and it's very unfortunate.

Today is a new day. We have the opportunity to celebrate the milestones and accomplishments of all women. Let's not accept only what is presented to us. Dig deep! You would be surprised by some of the accomplishments made by women of all ethnicity's that you come up with. One day soon we won't have to dig for the information, it will be presented in the same manner as any other woman of note.

To get the full 411 on Bessie Coleman visit: http://www.bessiecoleman.com/

....Up next, I have got to talk about the Curb your enthusiasm season finale.

No comments: